Congregation Schara Tzedeck seeks a part-time Accountant to perform all accounting functions and support the administration on all financial management issues. Schara Tzedeck is a well-established congregation, with a history of serving the Vancouver Jewish Community for over 110 years, and it boasts a passionate leadership, event facilities, and a membership base of some 500 families. Donations from these families provide the necessary funds to operate the congregation’s varied activities. The Congregation operates as a non-profit organization.
The Synagogue Accountant will report directly to the Executive Director and will work closely with the Congregation’s President and Treasurer to oversee and process all financial management and reporting in accordance with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) guidelines for non-profit organization and the Societies Act of BC.
• Accounts Payable (AP) transactions – review validity of payables, ensure timely payments, ensure all transactions are properly recorded; ensure accuracy, completeness and compliance with budget and policy
• Maintain the General Ledger (GL) and all related record keeping and filing
• Manage bank accounts and monthly reconciliation to GL
• Maintain the chart of accounts
• Manage payroll using Ceridian software, timely payments to staff of 13 full and part-time employees, issue year-end tax receipts (T4A)
• Perform asset recording and depreciation accounting
• Provide input for budgeting – work with the Treasurer and the Executive Director to create the annual budget
• Support month-end and year-end processes – provide monthly financial performance reports and comparison to budget to Treasurer for presentation to the Board of Directors; finalize all necessary year end closings as input into preparation of the year-end financial statements by external for review
• Provide necessary oversight to meet CRA and other regulatory requirements for non-profits; ex. issuance of tax receipts, support for expense claims, etc.; submission for GST rebates as required
• Reporting of incoming donations and flow into operations or endowments
• Preparation of grant applications
What you bring to Congregation Schara Tzedeck:
• Degree in accounting and prior experience working in a non-profit environment; accounting designation (CPA) a definite asset
• Competence in internal controls, financial management and reporting, CRA rules and regulations for non-profits and the Societies Act of BC
• Knowledge of Simply (Sage50) Accounting, Shul4Cloud, Ceridian, or similar accounting software
• Ability to grasp new software programs
• Good Excel skills, ability to produce spreadsheets for budgeting and other financial purposes
• Attention to detail and accuracy
• Demonstrated record-keeping skills; ability to meet reporting and regulatory requirements
• Ability to manage the workload independently; excellent people skills; ability to deal with a range of stakeholders (staff, Executive Director, Board members).
This is a part-time opportunity ideal for someone looking for flexibility. Some aspects of the role can be done from home once the incumbent is comfortable with the organization’s financial processes. Work hours will average 20 hours per week. September to November are our busiest months, requiring approximately 24 hours per week.
If you would like to be considered for this opportunity, please submit your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 31, 2018.
Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree Preferred and 3-5 years of experience.